Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Southern Hospitality Isn't Dead

   


     Okay, so it's been a while since I posted a blog. That is due to a belief that I hold to be true: No one cares what anyone else has to say. Am I wrong? Maybe. But I am still operating under that mentality. So why bother typing something no one will odds are ever read? I don't know, what's with all the questions. Get off muh' back.

     Now that we have that settled, I guess I wanted to talk about recording my first acoustic album. I've been meaning to do this for years and other things have always gotten in the way. I'm a firm believer that everything will happen in it's own time. I had written several songs over the past few years, some involving my personal faith and beliefs and some not. I tend to express whatever I'm feeling through song whatever the context may be. Sometimes that is pertaining to my faith and sometimes not. But my faith is a very big part of who I try to be, so it was only natural for me to record those songs. It's called 'My Acoustic Faith' which I feel is pretty explanatory, but I've struggled about how to promote it without being overly annoying about it. I'm proud of the music, but I'm also not one to force feed anyone what I believe.

     Being raised in the south, I have watched a million times as someone angry & uneducated or just well meaning and socially backward rant and rave trying to force someone into their belief system.. Case in point, I was on the University of Kentucky campus one day when some gentlemen(I use that term loosely) began screaming at passers by that they were all going to hell. Literally spit flying, screaming in people's faces. I narrowly avoided them, knowing my first reaction would be hostile in return. For some reason we're taught as young boys in Kentucky to throw fists first and worry about the consequences later. That experience has always stuck out to me as how not to win others to your cause. Really? You're going to scream at someone until they suddenly decide the screaming, angry person is right?  Has that ever worked? Has one political pundit, lawyer, or preacher in this case ever managed to present a winning argument by just red faced yelling? I'd think not. No one has ever been 'screamed to Jesus.'

     So it was for that reason I try to be a bit more low key. I believe what I believe & will gladly tell you about it should you want to know. I'd like everyone to believe the things I do but by that same line of logic, I feel everyone can believe how they will. I won't be screaming at you & I expect the same courtesy. That aside, I am very proud of the collection of songs I've put together and would be honored for anyone bothering to read this to check it out regardless of your personal beliefs.

The link is below. Thanks~

Michael Cook- My Acoustic Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment